This website is owned and managed by McPherson Newspapers Pty Ltd ABN: 89004522794, trading as McPherson Media Group (MMG).
MMG (and related entities) is committed to protecting your personal information in accordance with the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) in the Privacy Act as well as other applicable legislation. The term ‘personal information’ has the meaning given to it in the Act.
This policy does not address issues associated with personal information and its use and collection in the course of journalism. MMG relies on the media exemption under the Privacy Act. For details regarding Australian Press Council Privacy Standards, please refer to www.presscouncil.org.au/privacy-principles
What information we collect and how we collect it
Personal information is any information that can be used to personally identify you. The personal information we collect depends upon the reason we are dealing with each other.
When you transact with us, we will collect your personal information which may include your phone number, name, address, credit card details, identity and transaction details for the following reasons, including but not limited to:
- Subscribing to our services;
- Placing an advertisement with us over the phone or over the counter;
- Entering a competition;
- Ordering a photograph;
- Completing a survey;
- Becoming a member of our Kids Page or Paddlewheel Pete page;
- Contributing a letter to the Editor;
- Attendance at an MMG function;
- Applying for a job at MMG;
- When you access services via coupons published in our newspapers or on our websites.
By using any of the above “MMG services” you agree to the terms and conditions of this Policy.
You may choose to transact with MMG anonymously, for example paying cash for an over-the-counter transaction, however if you don’t identify yourself, we may not be able to provide the service or product you are seeking.
Why do we collect personal information?
We collect your personal information so that we can process your transaction with us, to complete an administrative function, to provide you with required products and services, for customer relationship purposes, to promote our services to you, to assist us to develop new products, services, customer offers, and to respond to queries and complaints.
We also collect personal information for recruitment and employment purposes and for engaging contractors in accordance with the ‘Privacy -Employees and Applicants’ policy.
When you provide the above information to MMG, you are consenting to MMG contacting you for the purposes outlined above. You can opt out of being contacted by MMG by contacting our Privacy Officer at [email protected] or 03 58 312 312 or writing to our Privacy Officer at PO Box 204, Shepparton, 3632 to advise us that you no longer wish to receive this contact. For online communications, you may use the unsubscribe preference.
Disclosure of Personal Information
We may disclose your personal information to:
- Our employees, related corporate entities, contractors or external service providers for the operation of our business, fulfilling requests by you, and otherwise provide products and services to you, including: web hosting providers, IT systems administrators, mail houses, newsagents, payment processors, data entry service providers, electronic network administrators, debt collectors, and professional advisers such as accountants, solicitors, business advisors and consultants;
- Our existing or potential agents, business partners or joint venture entities or partners;
- Our sponsors, or promoters of any competition that we conduct or promote via our services;
- Specific third parties authorised by you to receive information held by us;
- Regulatory or government bodies in order to comply with laws and regulations;
- Referees whose details have been provided by prospective applicants.
- Parties as required or permitted by any law (including the Privacy Act).
Prior to disclosing any of your personal information to another person or organisation, we will take all reasonable steps to satisfy ourselves that:
- The person or organisation has a commitment to protecting your personal information at least equal to our commitment, or
- You have consented to us making that disclosure.
How we protect personal information:
MMG will take all reasonable administrative and technical steps to ensure that personal information required to be held is stored or archived securely to prevent loss , theft or unauthorized use or disclosure.
We will retain your information for a time period sufficient to fulfil the purposes for which it was collected, unless a longer period of retention is required or allowed for by law.
We will securely destroy or de-identify any information that is no longer required.
If you do not wish to receive cookies, you can alter your browser settings so that your computer will not accept them.
We may also log your IP address to analyse trends, traffic and gather demographic information.
We may also collect information which is not considered personal information relating to your activity on our websites or we may collect anonymous information from you in response to surveys. This information assists us to report statistics, administer our services, diagnose concerns and problems and improve our service to you. This information will not identify you or anyone else in any way.
Our websites may contain links to other websites which are operated by third parties. These third party websites are responsible for their own content and for informing you about their privacy policies.
We may send you marketing communications and other information regarding services or products that we believe you may be interested in. We will use your preferred method of communication if you have selected one, or this information may be delivered using email, mail or SMS.
You may opt-out of receiving these communications at any time, using opt -out methods such as “unsubscribe” links or by contacting us as set out below. If you opt -out, we will ensure that your name is removed from our mailing list. We will not provide your personal information to any other organization for this purpose unless we have your express permission.
Access to Your Information, Complaints and Queries
If you wish to access, review or have questions or would like to make a complaint, please contact our Privacy Officer by:
Email: [email protected]
Mail: Privacy Officer, MMG, PO Box 204, Shepparton, 3632
Phone: 03 58 312 312
And set out details of your questions or complaint. All complaints will be dealt with fairly and in a timely manner and a response will be provided within 30 days of receipt of such complaint or request. If you are dissatisfied with our response to a complaint, you may refer your complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.