Steps are being taken to ensure the continued operation of the Mulwala munitions facility beyond June 2015, as tender negotiations for the DMMA remain indefinitely suspended.RACHEAL WILLETT May 20, 2014 3:35pm
The Department of Defence has confirmed three shortlisted consortia – led by Thales Australia, Alliant Techsystems and BAE Systems Australia – were informed earlier this year that the Request for Tender for the Domestic Munitions Manufacturing Arrangements Project (DMMA) had been suspended.
The DMMA will establish successor arrangements to the existing contact which expires in June 2015 – the original timetable called for a decision on a successful tender to be made late this year.
A Defence spokesperson told the Yarrawonga Chronicle the suspension was “pending consideration of the DMMA project by Government.
“As part of due diligence required to close out the current arrangements, Thales Australia Limited and the Department of Defence are working collaboratively to address a number of aspects not clearly defined in the arrangements,” the spokesperson said.
The Defence spokesperson denied there was any kind of dispute between the Department of Defence and Thales Australia.
Australian Munitions, which is part of Thales Australia Limited, issued a statement to the Yarrawonga Chronicle concerning the DMMA delay.
“We understand the need for the DMO (Defence Materiel Organisation) to suspend the DMMA program based on normal due diligence, as the situation since launching DMMA in November 2010 has changed,” the spokesperson said.
“A key reason for the suspension is the delay to the final delivery of the nearly $400 million modernisation of Mulwala under the Mulwala Redevelopment Project (MRP).
“We are ready to assist the DMO and its contractors – Lend Lease and ATK – to deliver their contracted outputs, which are already more than three years behind the original schedule.”
The spokesperson said following the DMMA suspension the company was “working closely with DMO on contingency planning for the continued safe operation of the Mulwala and Benalla facilities once the current contracts expire in June 2015.
“We want to reduce the uncertainty for our employees, customers and suppliers, so we are doing everything we can to quickly reach an agreement with the DMO on how the two sites will continue to be safely run from July next year.
“We are focused on the future and continuing to invest in the business both through research and development, and by the introduction of new product lines, to drive higher export and domestic sales.”
The Defence spokesperson said, “The Department of Defence is developing contingency plans to enable ongoing operation of the facilities beyond 2015”.
Goulburn Valley Suns have taken it right up to Kingston City only to go down by a single goal in a hard-fought National Premier Leagues contest.
The first preliminary final on Saturday saw the Tungamah seniors start their campaign against Waaia at the Rennie Recreation Reserve.
The Aboriginal and wider community is mourning the death of revered Bangerang Aboriginal elder, Uncle John ‘‘Sandy’’ Atkinson.
THREE words were chanted in unison at Hopwood Gardens, Echuca on Thursday night — bring them here.
EVERY day about 5000 motorists travel the Northern Hwy between Elmore and Rochester.
KYABRAM’S Margaret and Leonard Flint have come a long way since meeting in the early 1950s.
Avenel win over Nagambie to take top spot
Berrigan Shire councillor Daryll Morris says he has been sickened by some of the vitriol and personal attacks to surface since the council’s proposal to redevelop Finley’s Memorial Hall and School of Arts site was revealed in October last year.
YOU probably wouldn’t expect to find an intensive care nurse running an award winning hotel and brewery, but that’s exactly what you will find when you visit Tooborac.
The preparations for the 10th Cobram Swap Meet have been given a boost with a brand new line marker. The Rotary Club of Cobram, which organise the swap meet, applied for a volunteer grant from the Federal Government, from which it received $4600.
At 77 years of age, popular local golfer Paul ‘Tango’ has claimed his second hole-in-one.
Tuesday, August 16
The News magazines are online - read high quality magazines in your time. Check in regularly for the latest editions.
Riverine Herald's well regarded locally produced magazines. They're now online, so you can read them whenever and wherever you like.
Search for published and unpublished photos from McPherson Media Group newspapers and magazines. All our photos are available to purchase.
Place an advertisement in any one of McPherson Media Group's local newspapers.