A ute sparked a fire on a Tatura property last week, prompting a warning from CFA.KAITLIN THALS January 16, 2013 11:05am
Fire broke out on a Tatura district property Tuesday night when the farmer’s ute caught fire while gusty south-westerly winds were blowing.
Country Fire Authority Rodney group officer Phil Slender said CFA was notified of the blaze on the corner of Pogue and Bayunga Rds south of Tatura about 6.45
A cattle farmer had turned around and noticed his utility had ‘‘flared up’’ in the middle of a paddock.
Mr Slender said when they arrived on the scene strong winds had forced the fire to spread across 20
Smoke smothered the area as the sun set in the distance, making visibility difficult.
Mr Slender said the farmer’s vehicle was completely burned out, yet firefighters managed to stop the blaze spreading to a nearby paddock containing about 100 head of cattle.
CFA crews contained the fire in about one hour, managing to block it off at the channel, protecting surrounding properties, homes and livestock.
CFA personnel spent about three hours blacking out the area to ensure all embers were extinguished.
‘‘The weather conditions made it (the fire) flare up and it travelled fairly fast, lucky we stopped it at the channel otherwise it might have gotten away and across the road,’’ Mr Slender said.
‘‘The terrain is long and very rough, it’s been pretty hard on us trying to hang on. There are a few tufts of grass out there and there’s still so much heat in them.
‘‘Everyone just needs to be careful.’’
Mooroopna and Tatura police blocked traffic at Bayunga and Pogue Rds and Murton and Pogue Rds for about four hours.
No place for crowd
Tuesday’s fire attracted an unwanted crowd, with about 200 people in cars, on bicycles or on foot gathering at the fire scene, prompting a warning from CFA District 22 operations officer Trevor Logan.
Mr Logan said on Wednesday, the fire was putting off a lot of smoke and ‘‘everybody came for a look’’.
‘‘When we’re trying to get 20 trucks down a street to get into a fire, we don’t want the public there,’’ he said.
Mr Logan said unauthorised people should never attend fires.
‘‘It does hinder our ability to hit the fire quick and hard if we have traffic and pedestrian problems,’’ he said.
‘‘If we have a wind change, it puts the public in danger that they may actually be involved in the smoke or fire.’’
Mulwala has come from behind to knock Deniliquin out in week one of the Murray Netball League finals.
Although still not at their best, Mulwala have finished on top of the Murray League ladder after a comfortable victory over Cobram.
The International Guide Jamboree will take place at Lake Somerset, South East Queensland from September 25 to October 3, for Guides aged 10-17 years, and will be hosted by Girl Guides Australia.
AFTER the success of the inaugural Community Awareness and Choices Expo on Friday, the event has been confirmed for next year.
ROCHESTER has welcomed its new Uniting Church minister.
Kyabram under pressure to maintain vital top three spot
The Seymour sub-branch of the RSL needs information on local soldiers during World War I.
Berrigan public decides drainage works location
EARTHCOTE Events boss Spiro Boursinos has slammed allegations his annual Pyalong festival is anything but a safe and well organised function.
Handymen and creative builders will now have a safer space to work in after a donation allowed the Cobram Men’s Shed to invest in a defibrillator.
Cancer claims one of its fiercest combatants.
School's in for farming students
The News magazines are online - read high quality magazines in your time. Check in regularly for the latest editions.
Riverine Herald's well regarded locally produced magazines. They're now online, so you can read them whenever and wherever you like.
Search for published and unpublished photos from McPherson Media Group newspapers and magazines. All our photos are available to purchase.
Place an advertisement in any one of McPherson Media Group's local newspapers.