mmg.com.au

Covering the Goulburn and Murray valleys

Stove-top fire was a close call

A Trevaskis Dve resident had a close call on Wednesday when a pot left on the stove caught fire, sending smoke billowing through the house.

July 23, 2014 3:55am

Blown away: Tatura Fire Brigade volunteer Colin Magnay sets up a fan to clear smoke from a Tatura property on Wednesday.


The Tatura Fire Brigade was called to the house about 2.15pm and set up a large fan to clear the smoke from the house, after the resident had retreated to the back yard of the property.

The incident occurred shortly before a house fire in Murchison, in which a Hammond Rd house was engulfed, resulting in about 80 per cent structural damage to the residence. The house fire is being treated as not suspicious.

Both incidents prompted warnings from Murchison Brigade captain John Crowley and Tatura Brigade captain Graeme Dean.

Mr Crowley said it was a reminder to people to ensure kitchen appliances were used correctly, a point backed up by Mr Dean.

Mr Dean stressed the importance of keeping a close eye on items on the stove. He said it only took a short time for a pot or pan to boil dry and potentially cause a fire, particularly if the pot or pan contained oil.

comments powered by Disqus
Shepparton logo
Leapon discount image

Discover unbelievable local deals from local businesses every week in the Goulburn and Murray Valley area with Leapon.com.au!

Kensington house

Search properties for sale or rent across North Central Victoria and Southern NSW. Visit your local website for local homes....

1203221.jpg

Search for published and unpublished photos from McPherson Media Group newspapers and magazines. All our photos are available to purchase.

classies

Place an advertisement in any one of McPherson Media Group's local newspapers.