mmg.com.au

Covering the Goulburn and Murray valleys

Neighbour is Don, is good

A mother and son have their neighbour to thank for escaping their burning Shepparton house yesterday.

ELAINE COONEY August 23, 2014 3:34am

Thank goodness: A mother and son were lucky their neighbour alerted them that their Spivey St was on fire yesterday as their smoke detector was without batteries.


A mother and son were lucky to escape a fire at their Spivey St, Shepparton home yesterday.

Neighbour Don Ritchie said he was sitting outside in his back garden when he saw smoke and flames coming from the roof next door.

He alerted his neighbours.

The mother had been sleeping and the boy, 8, was playing his iPod when they heard the knock on the door.

 

Country Fire Authority operations officer Rob Van Dorsser said the smoke detector was installed, but did not have batteries.

‘‘Only working smoke detectors save lives,’’ he said.

‘‘If the neighbour had not been home, they may not be alive today.’’

Mr Van Dorsser said following an investigation, it was found something had been left on the stove top that was not switched off.

He said this was a cause of many house fires.

comments powered by Disqus
Shepparton logo
Leapon discount image

Discover unbelievable local deals from local businesses every week in the Goulburn and Murray Valley area with Leapon.com.au!

Kensington house

Search properties for sale or rent across North Central Victoria and Southern NSW. Visit your local website for local homes....

1203221.jpg

Search for published and unpublished photos from McPherson Media Group newspapers and magazines. All our photos are available to purchase.

classies

Place an advertisement in any one of McPherson Media Group's local newspapers.