A mother and son have their neighbour to thank for escaping their burning Shepparton house yesterday.ELAINE COONEY August 23, 2014 3:34am
Thank goodness: A mother and son were lucky their neighbour alerted them that their Spivey St was on fire yesterday as their smoke detector was without batteries.
A mother and son were lucky to escape a fire at their Spivey St, Shepparton home yesterday.
Neighbour Don Ritchie said he was sitting outside in his back garden when he saw smoke and flames coming from the roof next door.
He alerted his neighbours.
The mother had been sleeping and the boy, 8, was playing his iPod when they heard the knock on the door.
Country Fire Authority operations officer Rob Van Dorsser said the smoke detector was installed, but did not have batteries.
‘‘Only working smoke detectors save lives,’’ he said.
‘‘If the neighbour had not been home, they may not be alive today.’’
Mr Van Dorsser said following an investigation, it was found something had been left on the stove top that was not switched off.
He said this was a cause of many house fires.
A lack of wind caused children to run wildly up and down Maude St Mall on Monday.
With Dookie sitting fourth on the ladder the Bears expected a hard contest on their home deck and when they kicked the first two goals it was game on.
Tatura Community House held its annual High Tea fundraiser at the facility on Tuesday, with a full-house present to enjoy a sumptuous morning tea, good conversation and relaxing time together.
While Campaspe Shire residents are some of the best recyclers in the state, council’s waste contractor, Ellwaste, has seen an increase in the contamination rate, with many non-recyclables being put in kerbside recycle bins.
Fruits and vegetables should be an important part of the daily diet, they are naturally good and contain vitamins and minerals that can help to keep you healthy.
Ky export gets first Navy Blues win.
Passage of federal legislation brings $100m project closer to reality.
A beauty pamper day has raised a whopping $18k to assist local lady Terri Bevan with her ongoing medical costs associated with her brain tumour
Heathcote mourned the passing of World War II veteran and the face of Heathcote’s Anzac Day celebrations Clarice Reid on Wednesday.
Hundreds of homes in Cobram, Cobram South and Strathmerton will soon have access to the national broadband network, with work beginning to connect fixed wireless to premises throughout the area.
An exciting three-hole playoff saw Virginia Lange take a narrow win in the Deniliquin Ladies Golf Championship last Thursday.
The G-MW Murray gravity irrigation system has received 35 per cent and the Goulburn system 42 per cent of allocation from July 1.
Discover unbelievable local deals from local businesses every week in the Goulburn and Murray Valley area with Leapon.com.au!
Search properties for sale or rent across North Central Victoria and Southern NSW. Visit your local website for local homes....
Search for published and unpublished photos from McPherson Media Group newspapers and magazines. All our photos are available to purchase.
Place an advertisement in any one of McPherson Media Group's local newspapers.