Autopsies and toxicology tests later revealed the cause of the boys' deaths to be carbon monoxide poisoning.By Riahn Smith
A gas heater which contributed to the deaths of two Mooroopna boys had not been serviced for nearly four years, the Victorian Coroners Court has heard.
A coronial inquest into the death of Chase, 8, and Tyler Robinson, 6, at their home on Kalimna Dve, Mooroopna, began in Shepparton yesterday.
Autopsies and toxicology tests revealed the cause of the boys’ deaths to be carbon monoxide poisoning.
The inquest heard extraction fans may have contributed the high levels of the odourless, colourless gas in the home which was ‘‘well sealed’’ and lacked ventilation.
In her opening address, Counsel Assisting the Coroner Sara Hinchey said the responsibilities of landlords, real estate agents and tradespeople would be examined as part of the inquest with maintenance and changes to the home being a key issue.
Ms Hinchey also touched on the need for public education about the importance of regular and ongoing maintenance of gas appliances to ensure their efficient operation as well as a reassessment of Australian building standards.
The court heard evidence from the Robinsons’ landlord Jeffrey Watt, who had previously lived at the address with his wife Tracey, as well as director of Youngs & Co Real Estate Connie Young, who was the property manager of the house.
The inquest before coroner Jacinta Heffey, which is scheduled to run until Thursday, continues this morning.
For more see today's Shepparton News.
City of Greater Shepparton councillors have chosen not to provide support for the Slap Tomorrow forum on climate change to be held next month.
Most people at the J C Lowe Oval left on Saturday evening talking about the game but not the result. Pigeon Coach Chris Kennedy summed up the feeling adequately when he said after the game; “it was a frustrating game, but my players weren’t responsible for the frustration.”
The move to extend the Tatura War Memorial area and honour Victoria Cross hero Robert Mactier with the erection of a statue in the Hogan St gardens named in his honour, continues.
Echuca East Primary School students had to remove dog poo before they could play a game of junior football at Echuca East Recreation Reserve on Friday.
The Elmore Events Centre has received a $500,000 grant which it will put towards the centre's $1.1 million upgrade.
The call has gone out for Kyabram residents to throw open their garage doors for Kyabram Gift Inc's annual Purple Weekend fundraiser.
Ten people were injured after Two Australian Light Armoured Vehicles (ASLAV) collided during a training course at the Puckapunyal Military Training Range in on Wednesday, May 22.
The Finley Apex Sports and Community Centre has secured a $500,000 grant from Regional Development Australia.
A fire on a historic bridge on the Heathcote Spring Plains Rd is being treated as suspicious.
Koonoomoo’s recovery from a tornado which hit the township in March is continuing — but this weekend the process will take on a lighter note.
The Roos, after losing four games in a row, have won their second straight with an 80-point thrashing of Picola United.
The Department of Environment and Primary Industries (DEPI) is investigating incidents of abortion or still-births under the Lamb and Kid Mortality Surveillance Project.(LKSMP).
Discover unbelievable local deals from local businesses every week in the Goulburn and Murray Valley area with Leapon.com.au!
Search properties for sale or rent across North Central Victoria and Southern NSW. Visit your local website for local homes....
Search for published and unpublished photos from McPherson Media Group newspapers and magazines. All our photos are available to purchase.
Place an advertisement in any one of McPherson Media Group's local newspapers.