The coronial inquest into the deaths of Chase and Tyler Robinson yesterday heard the home's exhaust fans were strong enough to pull deadly gas from the heater into the home.By Riahn Smith
The coronial inquest into the deaths of Chase and Tyler Robinson yesterday heard the home’s exhaust fans were strong enough to pull deadly gas from the heater into the home.
Chase, 8, and Tyler, 6, died in May 2010 from carbon monoxide poisoning from a soot-filled gas heater in their Mooroopna home.
On the second day of proceedings, the Victorian Coroners Court heard extraction fans may have contributed to the high levels of the odourless, colourless gas in the home, which was ‘‘well sealed’’ and lacked ventilation.
Youngs and Co Real Estate director and property manager responsible for the Kalimna Dve house, Connie Young, also continued her evidence.
Ms Young described the boys’ mother, Vanessa Robinson, as a good tenant who ‘‘kept the house in very good order’’.
She said during the last routine inspection before the boys’ deaths she saw no evidence of the soot that allegedly contributed to the carbon monoxide poisoning.
She told the court if she had noticed the soot, or any similar discolouration of the heater she would have ‘‘made a mental note of it’’ and put it in a subsequent letter to the landlord.
The court heard evidence from Vipac Engineers and Scientists director Ian Jones, who explained in detail the carbon monoxide testing that took place at the house between June 2 and 11, 2010.
Mr Jones, an engineer, said several tests were done on the heater and extraction fans which found carbon monoxide was pulled from the heater into the house when two fans were operating.
The court also heard from Energy Safe Victoria gas installations and appliance safety executive manager Paul Bonsak.
Mr Bonsak said there were no inherent faults in the ‘‘open-flue’’ gas heater in the Robinson home, but acknowledged there was the potential for problems if the appliance was not installed or maintained correctly. He also spoke about the need to educate the public and tradespersons about gas appliance safety.
The inquest, before Coroner Jacinta Heffey, is expected to hear further evidence from Mr Bonsak today as well as from Energy Safe Victoria’s Enzo Alfonsetti and police informant Detective Senior Constable Gary Dean.
For more coverage about the Robinson inquest pick up today’s News.
A Tamleugh North farmer has described the theft of four sheep fences from his tornado-damaged property ''a low act''.
Most people at the J C Lowe Oval left on Saturday evening talking about the game but not the result. Pigeon Coach Chris Kennedy summed up the feeling adequately when he said after the game; “it was a frustrating game, but my players weren’t responsible for the frustration.”
The move to extend the Tatura War Memorial area and honour Victoria Cross hero Robert Mactier with the erection of a statue in the Hogan St gardens named in his honour, continues.
A Kyabram man who struck a cyclist on Echuca-Moama bridge with a beer can thrown from the vehicle he was in was convicted and fined $400 in Moama Local Court on Wednesday.
A Rochester mother told a health forum about the devastating effect drugs have had on her family.
Over six hours of junior football is scheduled for Kyabram Recreation Reserve this Sunday.
Ten people were injured after Two Australian Light Armoured Vehicles (ASLAV) collided during a training course at the Puckapunyal Military Training Range in on Wednesday, May 22.
The Finley Apex Sports and Community Centre has secured a $500,000 grant from Regional Development Australia.
A purpose-built bike, equipped with amateur radio, will be on the O'Keefe Rail Trail tomorrow.
Cobram residents John Anderson and Ian Cobb will race down memory lane this weekend when they compete in the annual Historic Winton.
Deniliquin Fire and Rescue's open day has been hailed a success by captain Bill Muirhead.
The Department of Environment and Primary Industries (DEPI) is investigating incidents of abortion or still-births under the Lamb and Kid Mortality Surveillance Project.(LKSMP).
Discover unbelievable local deals from local businesses every week in the Goulburn and Murray Valley area with Leapon.com.au!
Search properties for sale or rent across North Central Victoria and Southern NSW. Visit your local website for local homes....
Search for published and unpublished photos from McPherson Media Group newspapers and magazines. All our photos are available to purchase.
Place an advertisement in any one of McPherson Media Group's local newspapers.