mmg.com.au

Covering the Goulburn and Murray valleys

Explosion causes Shepparton house fire

A man suffered serious burns to his face and chest after a butane can explosion caused a fire at a Shepparton house yesterday.

JENNA BISHOP April 17, 2014 5:56am

Controlling scene: A butane can explosion caused a house fire in Shepparton, with a man suffering facial and chest burns.


Emergency services were called to the Swallow St property about 11am yesterday.

‘‘The male in his 40s was treated at the scene and stabilised and then transferred to Goulburn Valley Health in a serious, but stable condition,’’ Ambulance Victoria spokesman John Mullen said.

Shepparton Fire Brigade station officer Scott Shenfield said a butane can in the house’s laundry at the rear of the property caused a small explosion.

‘‘There was no structural damage to the house, however there was damage to parts of the laundry inside,’’ he said.

Mr Shenfield said a second occupant had unsuccessfully tried to extinguish a fire in clothes in the laundry.

It took two fire crews less than five minutes to extinguish the small fire.

comments powered by Disqus
Shepparton logo
Leapon discount image

Discover unbelievable local deals from local businesses every week in the Goulburn and Murray Valley area with Leapon.com.au!

Kensington house

Search properties for sale or rent across North Central Victoria and Southern NSW. Visit your local website for local homes....

1203221.jpg

Search for published and unpublished photos from McPherson Media Group newspapers and magazines. All our photos are available to purchase.

classies

Place an advertisement in any one of McPherson Media Group's local newspapers.