About 25 people were evacuated from the day clinic at Cobram District Hospital after an excavator struck a gas main while carrying out roadworks.SOPHIE MALCOLM November 24, 2012 4:10am
A medical clinic was evacuated and roads blocked for more than four hours after a gas leak in Cobram yesterday.
Fire authorities said the leak occurred near the intersection of Broadway and Charles Sts after an excavator struck a gas main.
Country Fire Authority district operations officer Rob Van Dorsser said CFA crews were called to the scene just after 9
‘‘Some contractors were doing some roadworks and they dug through a gas main here in Cobram, right next to the hospital,’’ Mr Van Dorsser said.
‘‘Basically, we brought our brigades and the process for us is to make sure that the gas cloud is dissipated and it’s not going to affect any residents and take precautionary measures to make sure that people are not affected.’’
Mr Van Dorsser said about 25 people were evacuated from the clinic and emergency services staff did a door knock of the area to alert nearby residents.
‘‘We’ve done a notification to the neighbouring residents and told them to close doors and windows and to remain inside, and we’ve ended up having to evacuate the day clinic here at the hospital,’’ he said.
Cobram District Health Director of Clinical Services Marg McKenzie said the decision to evacuate the clinic was a precautionary measure.
Ms McKenzie said emergency services staff could not find any gas levels in the clinic or hospital.
‘‘It was just a precaution at that point in time, we had a couple of patients feeling a little headachey,’’ Ms McKenzie said.
Mr Van Dorsser said crews used water to help disperse the gas.
He said the leak was closed at about 1.15
‘‘Ambulance, police and CFA then checked houses for gas vapors and checked to see if people were okay,’’ he said.
‘‘Fortunately the wind’s been very calm so it hasn’t actually affected any residents.’’
CFA members from Cobram, Numurkah and Yarroweyah attended the scene.
When Sam Atukorala addresses his children in his mother tongue of Sinhalese, they understand him completely, but they always reply in English.
Mulwala’s own motor racing sensation Steve ‘Harro’ Harrison has won the 2014 Victorian Super Tin Tops Championship.
St Augustines College, Kyabram, has won the inaugural School’s Sustainability Cup for 2014, beating several Melbourne schools.
The Shire of Campaspe is concerned as to the incomplete reporting of Port of Echuca property matters.
Four people, including a father and his two children, were fined more than $18,000 for their role in an alcohol-fuelled brawl at a Lockington party earlier this year which ended in a teenager beaten up and forced into a dog cage.
New faces for Girgarre FNC
A time to include late loved ones in the spirit of the season.
Firefighters were able to save a Finley property's buildings after a large stack of hay bales went up in flames on Monday.
Eppalock Primary School has gone global.
Scout Group hopes to raise funds for World Scout Jamboree through novel 24-hour endurance test.
Forest tour only way to understand impact.
Fodder depots have been set up in Euroa and Thoona for farmers hit by the recent fires.
The rail tracks are in such disrepear V/Line is having to close the buffet car between Euroa and Seymour due to health and safety concerns to hospitality staff.
Discover unbelievable local deals from local businesses every week in the Goulburn and Murray Valley area with Leapon.com.au!
Search properties for sale or rent across North Central Victoria and Southern NSW. Visit your local website for local homes....
Search for published and unpublished photos from McPherson Media Group newspapers and magazines. All our photos are available to purchase.
Place an advertisement in any one of McPherson Media Group's local newspapers.