Members of the public are being warned about the dangers of faulty gas appliances in response to the deaths of a pair of Mooroopna brothers in 2010.
A targeted public awareness campaign has been identified as the most cost effective measure to curb carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning caused by faulty gas appliances.
In response to the tragic deaths of brothers Chase and Tyler Robinson in their Mooroopna home in 2010, Federal Member for Murray Sharman Stone introduced a private member’s motion pushing for the mandatory installation of CO detectors in all residential properties with a gas appliance, as well as promoting greater safety awareness.
The motion gained bipartisan support and was referred to the Ministerial Council on Energy to explore options to mitigate the risk of CO poisoning from gas appliances in households and recreational vehicles.
The Gas Technical Regulators Committee was subsequently tasked with developing a draft Gas Appliance (CO) Safety Strategy.
While recognising a need for mandatory CO detectors, the lack of regulations and standards for their installation and use in Australia made this impractical in the short term. They instead focused on awareness campaigns on the dangers of CO poisoning.
‘‘The states and territories agreed with this strategy and most have implemented their own gas safety awareness campaigns. Some, including Victoria, have included a training regime for gas fitters,’’ Dr Stone said.
“Gas fitters in Greater Shepparton say requests for gas appliance inspections doubled in the first 12 months after the tragedy and some real estate agents contacted landlords of rental properties alerting them to the need for safety checks,” Dr Stone said.
“Developing standard regulations in Australia for CO detectors remains a desirable step, but we have come a long way in making people aware that CO is the silent killer, with the gas having no colour, taste or odour.”
Gas appliances should be checked at least every two years and Dr Stone said it was now time to mark the calendar if a safety check was due this year.
A car was stolen from the Chemist Warehouse carpark in Shepparton on Saturday while the owner was shopping for Christmas presents.
After a tennis career spanning 62 years, of which the last 35 years have been as a coach, Yarrawonga's Jon Coleman is set to retire at the end of 2013.
The recent Kyabram Master Pairs, played over six days with crack sides from near and far, attracted some talented bowlers eager to win the prestige event.
'Suttonsville', a minitature version of Echuca-Moama made out of gingerbread at Moama's Sutton Bakery, has a growing number of admirers.
Three Goornong Fire Brigade firefighters recently completed a CFA course on safety surrounding urban firefighting and using breathing apparatuses.
Kyabram Lawn Tennis Club’s annual junior singles tournament again attracted good numbers from across the district.
But have opponents given up the fight?
Tocumwal Pre-School students are proudly flying their KITE at the Tocumwal Lions Community Hostel.
Tooborac Fire Brigade visited Tooborac Primary School last Tuesday to help the school complete its bushfire emergency management plan.
Residents urged to renew fruit fly baits to support local orchards.
A Korean company has a proposal with the NSW Government to built a $90 million ethanol plant in Deniliquin.
SPC Ardmona, is sending eight containers loaded with $250,000 of fruit and vegetables to cyclone ravaged Philippines.
The hunt is on for a buyer for Benalla and Mansfield Toyota after the business went into receivership last fortnight.
Discover unbelievable local deals from local businesses every week in the Goulburn and Murray Valley area with Leapon.com.au!
Search properties for sale or rent across North Central Victoria and Southern NSW. Visit your local website for local homes....
Search for published and unpublished photos from McPherson Media Group newspapers and magazines. All our photos are available to purchase.
Place an advertisement in any one of McPherson Media Group's local newspapers.