A house fire on Harvet Rd in Elmore on Friday is thought to have begun in a pot plant.ELAINE COONEY January 2, 2013 4:34am
A house fire in Elmore on Friday is being treated as suspicious.
The fire began on the front veranda of Suzanne and John Williams’ Harvey Rd home while they were in the back garden.
Their neighbour, Matt Higgins, was passing by when he saw a fire at the left corner of the house.
‘‘It looked like the fire was coming from inside the house,’’ he said.
‘‘I grabbed the hose and tried to quench it.’’
Mr Higgins said he noticed smoke and ‘‘redness’’ coming from behind the wall and a plastic bucket on the veranda was on fire.
Mr Higgins alerted Mr Williams to the fire and helped him extinguish it before the Elmore Fire Brigade arrived.
The corner of the weatherboard house was severely damaged but there was minimal damage on the inside of the house.
Elmore’s Senior Constable Dave Rowland said several possible reasons for the fire were ruled out but two possible causes were identified.
‘‘The obvious choice is that an external source started it in the pot plant,’’ he said.
He said it was either started by a person or due to spontaneous combustion of the potting mix.
Mrs Williams said she initially thought it was an electrical fault as there was a plug in the corner of the bedroom but there were no electrical appliances on in the room.
Sen. Constable Rowland said fire captain Bob Simpson ruled out the possibility of an electrical fault.
He said investigations would continue.
Former councillor Chris Hazelman has been elected as seventh councillor for Greater Shepparton.
Police are currently at the scene of a double fatal collision involving two cars in at the Cahill Road, Gilmore Street and Woods Road intersection in Yarrawonga.
Tatura Community House held its annual High Tea fundraiser at the facility on Tuesday, with a full-house present to enjoy a sumptuous morning tea, good conversation and relaxing time together.
CAMPASPE Shire’s animal ranger is hunting two dogs after they attacked and killed a dog walking with its owner.
Rochester Historical and Pioneer Society hosted an afternoon tea to recognise long-standing members Barrie and Flora Griffin and John and Margaret Harley.
About 7600 residents served by Goulburn Valley Water are affected by a boil-water advisory.
Scone Equine Hospital relaunches local veterinary practice.
A beauty pamper day has raised a whopping $18k to assist local lady Terri Bevan with her ongoing medical costs associated with her brain tumour
A planning scheme amendment to allow the expansion and redevelopment of the IGA supermarket at Heathcote has been approved by the Victorian Planning Minister Richard Wynne.
The second Koonoomoo Pickers and Packers Charity Ball came to town on the weekend, and was bigger and better than ever.
An exciting three-hole playoff saw Virginia Lange take a narrow win in the Deniliquin Ladies Golf Championship last Thursday.
The G-MW Murray gravity irrigation system has received 35 per cent and the Goulburn system 42 per cent of allocation from July 1.
Discover unbelievable local deals from local businesses every week in the Goulburn and Murray Valley area with Leapon.com.au!
Search properties for sale or rent across North Central Victoria and Southern NSW. Visit your local website for local homes....
Search for published and unpublished photos from McPherson Media Group newspapers and magazines. All our photos are available to purchase.
Place an advertisement in any one of McPherson Media Group's local newspapers.