Rochester's Brian Haimes has urged people picking wild mushrooms to know how to tell edible varieties from the deadly death cap fungus.ELAINE COONEY May 7, 2014 3:10am
Rochester resident Brian Haimes got a big surprise when he went to cook his lunch last week.
The mushrooms that appeared to be edible field mushrooms turned out to be poisonous.
Mr Haimes is a seasoned mushroom picker and was convinced the mushrooms he picked from the nature strip on Mackay St were edible and was looking forward to frying them for lunch.
He said they had the hallmarks of edible mushrooms: brown gills, white flesh and a fresh smell.
Mr Haimes said as soon as he began cooking the mushrooms he got a chemical smell and knew they were poisonous.
He said that was usually how he detected the difference or he would look for pink or yellow flesh when the skin was scratched.
Mr Haimes’ scare came at the same time Victoria’s deputy chief health officer Michael Ackland issued a warning about the dangers of eating wild mushrooms.
‘‘People should avoid gathering wild mushrooms in rural Victoria and from their own gardens because of the risk of collecting poisonous varieties which may appear very similar to edible varieties,’’ he said.
Dr Ackland identified the dangers of two of the state’s most dangerous varieties, the death cap fungus, Amanita phalloides and the yellow staining mushroom, Agaricus xanthodermus.
The warning coincided with the arrival of the mushrooming season, spawned when rain encourages growth of the fungi in the still-warm earth.
‘‘Poisonings can occur when people gathering wild mushrooms inadvertently include toxic species,’’ Dr Ackland said.
Dr Tom May, mycologist (fungus biologist) at the Royal Botanic Gardens, said the death cap is widespread across Melbourne in public and private gardens and also grew in regional areas.
‘‘The death cap can appear throughout the year, but it is most common a week or two after good rains in autumn, so we could expect a bumper crop about now,’’ he said.
‘‘The death cap is extremely toxic and responsible for 90 per cent of all mushroom poisoning deaths.
‘‘Death can follow within 48 hours.
‘‘The symptoms of poisoning may take 10-16 hours to appear after eating and will most likely be stomach pains, vomiting and diarrhoea.
‘‘Anyone who becomes ill after eating mushrooms should seek urgent medical advice and, if possible, take samples of the whole mushroom for identification.’’
Dr Ackland said the common yellow staining mushroom turned yellow when the cap or stem was bruised by a thumbnail.
He said the best place to obtain mushrooms was from a commercial retail food outlet.
In the past fortnight four people from Canberra were poisoned in two incidents after eating death cap mushrooms.
Benalla coach Luke Morgan is looking forward to the task of leading the Goulburn Valley's interleague team next year.
The first preliminary final on Saturday saw the Tungamah seniors start their campaign against Waaia at the Rennie Recreation Reserve.
The Aboriginal and wider community is mourning the death of revered Bangerang Aboriginal elder, Uncle John ‘‘Sandy’’ Atkinson.
PEOPLE who attended Echuca-Moama’s drug forum this week will think twice before taking ice.
TRUCKS, cars and vintage machinery took over Rochester Recreation Reserve on Tuesday last week.
KYABRAM’S Margaret and Leonard Flint have come a long way since meeting in the early 1950s.
Avenel win over Nagambie to take top spot
Berrigan Shire councillor Daryll Morris says he has been sickened by some of the vitriol and personal attacks to surface since the council’s proposal to redevelop Finley’s Memorial Hall and School of Arts site was revealed in October last year.
YOU probably wouldn’t expect to find an intensive care nurse running an award winning hotel and brewery, but that’s exactly what you will find when you visit Tooborac.
The preparations for the 10th Cobram Swap Meet have been given a boost with a brand new line marker. The Rotary Club of Cobram, which organise the swap meet, applied for a volunteer grant from the Federal Government, from which it received $4600.
At 77 years of age, popular local golfer Paul ‘Tango’ has claimed his second hole-in-one.
Tuesday, August 16
The News magazines are online - read high quality magazines in your time. Check in regularly for the latest editions.
Riverine Herald's well regarded locally produced magazines. They're now online, so you can read them whenever and wherever you like.
Search for published and unpublished photos from McPherson Media Group newspapers and magazines. All our photos are available to purchase.
Place an advertisement in any one of McPherson Media Group's local newspapers.