Rochester's Brian Haimes has urged people picking wild mushrooms to know how to tell edible varieties from the deadly death cap fungus.ELAINE COONEY May 7, 2014 3:10am
Rochester resident Brian Haimes got a big surprise when he went to cook his lunch last week.
The mushrooms that appeared to be edible field mushrooms turned out to be poisonous.
Mr Haimes is a seasoned mushroom picker and was convinced the mushrooms he picked from the nature strip on Mackay St were edible and was looking forward to frying them for lunch.
He said they had the hallmarks of edible mushrooms: brown gills, white flesh and a fresh smell.
Mr Haimes said as soon as he began cooking the mushrooms he got a chemical smell and knew they were poisonous.
He said that was usually how he detected the difference or he would look for pink or yellow flesh when the skin was scratched.
Mr Haimes’ scare came at the same time Victoria’s deputy chief health officer Michael Ackland issued a warning about the dangers of eating wild mushrooms.
‘‘People should avoid gathering wild mushrooms in rural Victoria and from their own gardens because of the risk of collecting poisonous varieties which may appear very similar to edible varieties,’’ he said.
Dr Ackland identified the dangers of two of the state’s most dangerous varieties, the death cap fungus, Amanita phalloides and the yellow staining mushroom, Agaricus xanthodermus.
The warning coincided with the arrival of the mushrooming season, spawned when rain encourages growth of the fungi in the still-warm earth.
‘‘Poisonings can occur when people gathering wild mushrooms inadvertently include toxic species,’’ Dr Ackland said.
Dr Tom May, mycologist (fungus biologist) at the Royal Botanic Gardens, said the death cap is widespread across Melbourne in public and private gardens and also grew in regional areas.
‘‘The death cap can appear throughout the year, but it is most common a week or two after good rains in autumn, so we could expect a bumper crop about now,’’ he said.
‘‘The death cap is extremely toxic and responsible for 90 per cent of all mushroom poisoning deaths.
‘‘Death can follow within 48 hours.
‘‘The symptoms of poisoning may take 10-16 hours to appear after eating and will most likely be stomach pains, vomiting and diarrhoea.
‘‘Anyone who becomes ill after eating mushrooms should seek urgent medical advice and, if possible, take samples of the whole mushroom for identification.’’
Dr Ackland said the common yellow staining mushroom turned yellow when the cap or stem was bruised by a thumbnail.
He said the best place to obtain mushrooms was from a commercial retail food outlet.
In the past fortnight four people from Canberra were poisoned in two incidents after eating death cap mushrooms.
Police are investigating a fire at a steel factory in Seymour overnight.
Moira Shire's rate notices will be reissued, and will increase, after a calculation error resulted in an estimated shortfall of more than $500,000.
Murchison and Tatura SES units were two of 26 Victoria State Emergency Service volunteer units to receive an allocation of new equipment this week as part of the annual AAMI equipment handover program.
Leitchville-Gunbower’s Lee Pollock played his 250th game last weekend - and it was a ripping match.
Julie Sands and Sheridan Clark have been kept busy, visiting Rochester recently yo dispense free coats to residents.
Kyabram's Nick Holman set to make senior AFL debut.
Fundraising for prostate cancer would seem to be a natural fit for the Australian Defence Force.
Jerilderie Shire deputy mayor Ruth McRae handed the key over for the new Rural Fire Service station last Friday.
Aommunity fair and truck show will be hosted by Heathcote Primary School next month.
Statewide roads and public transport study calls for increased governemnt funding, sparks memories of Cobram passenger rail service.
We have three single adult tickets for the October 3 and 4 event to giveaway.
A $100 million investment program will recommence following parent company Coca-Cola Amatil's decision today to invest $78 million into SPC Ardmona.
Jack Frawley remembered for his service with the 4th light horse bridge at Lone Pine, Gallipoli and the charge of Beersheba, Palestine.
- Benalla Health signs on as a White Ribbon supporter of the campaign against domestic violence
- A magnificent 98 years for Benalla arts identity
- Benalla unveils its refurbished old shire offices which are now the Civic Centre
- Support Light the Night in Benalla next month
- Poppy Smith celebrates her second birthday, having survived a heart defect.
Discover unbelievable local deals from local businesses every week in the Goulburn and Murray Valley area with Leapon.com.au!
Search properties for sale or rent across North Central Victoria and Southern NSW. Visit your local website for local homes....
Search for published and unpublished photos from McPherson Media Group newspapers and magazines. All our photos are available to purchase.
Place an advertisement in any one of McPherson Media Group's local newspapers.