Tongala's Daryl Reid put out a fire in a neighbour's kitchen.January 29, 2014 4:42am
Tongala resident Rhiannon Payne is grateful she has a neighbour like Daryl Reid and that he had a fire extinguisher handy last week.
Last Thursday about 8
‘‘I left the room for a moment and when I came back the pan was alight,’’ she said.
‘‘The fire spread quickly across the cooker, up into the range hood and then caught hold of the kitchen worktop and overhead cupboards and at that point I realised I couldn’t deal with it myself.’’
Ms Payne phoned 000 and ran across the road and frantically knocked and rang the bell at Mr Reid’s house.
He had been asleep, but when he opened the door the message was loud and clear.
‘‘I just said to Daryl ‘can you please help me, my kitchen’s on fire’,’’ Ms Payne said.
Fortunately, Mr Reid had a fire extinguisher handy and rushed over to help.
‘‘That fire extinguisher turned out to be a good investment. I’ve had it a few years, but it did the job,’’ Mr Reid said.
‘‘There was a lot of pretty unpleasant smoke in there and even after the fire appeared to be out it was difficult to tell for sure because of all the smoke that was still floating around.’’
Tongala CFA arrived quickly and made sure the site was safe and Kyabram CFA also responded to the call.
Ms Payne has since bought Mr Reid a new fire extinguisher and sent him a thank you card saying ‘‘Thanks, to the Guiney St firefighter’’.
This incident followed another recent fire at a home near Kyabram when Tongala police officer Frank Scopelliti was nearby and saw smoke.
‘‘There was a large amount of smoke and flames coming from the verandah so I grabbed the fire extinguisher from the car and fortunately was able to put the fire out as there were children at home there at the time,’’ he said.
‘‘There was a gas connection near the fire so I made sure that was safe.’’
Kyabram CFA captain Mick Crompton said these two incidents showed the benefit of having a fire extinguisher and other equipment such as a fire blanket at home and in the car.
With reference to the Kyabram incident, Mr Crompton said the children at the property were unaware of the fire and Mr Scopelliti’s prompt action saved what could have been a dangerous situation.
Shepparton's Greek community believe the country's financial crisis could be a ticket out of the European Union.
With Dookie sitting fourth on the ladder the Bears expected a hard contest on their home deck and when they kicked the first two goals it was game on.
Tatura Community House held its annual High Tea fundraiser at the facility on Tuesday, with a full-house present to enjoy a sumptuous morning tea, good conversation and relaxing time together.
If you ask Bill and Merle Harriss what they remember about their wedding day, the answer you get is an unusual one.
It is official, Rochester has a Red Hat Society.
Ky export gets first Navy Blues win.
Iconic building getting anew lease of life.
A beauty pamper day has raised a whopping $18k to assist local lady Terri Bevan with her ongoing medical costs associated with her brain tumour
The time has arrived for the district’s good Samaritans to donate their unwanted shoe boxes to the annual Samaritans’ Purse gift box program.
Moira Shire Council has adopted its 2015-16 budget, but perceived unfairness in the allocation of funding meant it was not passed unanimously.
An exciting three-hole playoff saw Virginia Lange take a narrow win in the Deniliquin Ladies Golf Championship last Thursday.
The G-MW Murray gravity irrigation system has received 35 per cent and the Goulburn system 42 per cent of allocation from July 1.
Discover unbelievable local deals from local businesses every week in the Goulburn and Murray Valley area with Leapon.com.au!
Search properties for sale or rent across North Central Victoria and Southern NSW. Visit your local website for local homes....
Search for published and unpublished photos from McPherson Media Group newspapers and magazines. All our photos are available to purchase.
Place an advertisement in any one of McPherson Media Group's local newspapers.