Tongala's Daryl Reid put out a fire in a neighbour's kitchen.January 29, 2014 4:42am
Tongala resident Rhiannon Payne is grateful she has a neighbour like Daryl Reid and that he had a fire extinguisher handy last week.
Last Thursday about 8
‘‘I left the room for a moment and when I came back the pan was alight,’’ she said.
‘‘The fire spread quickly across the cooker, up into the range hood and then caught hold of the kitchen worktop and overhead cupboards and at that point I realised I couldn’t deal with it myself.’’
Ms Payne phoned 000 and ran across the road and frantically knocked and rang the bell at Mr Reid’s house.
He had been asleep, but when he opened the door the message was loud and clear.
‘‘I just said to Daryl ‘can you please help me, my kitchen’s on fire’,’’ Ms Payne said.
Fortunately, Mr Reid had a fire extinguisher handy and rushed over to help.
‘‘That fire extinguisher turned out to be a good investment. I’ve had it a few years, but it did the job,’’ Mr Reid said.
‘‘There was a lot of pretty unpleasant smoke in there and even after the fire appeared to be out it was difficult to tell for sure because of all the smoke that was still floating around.’’
Tongala CFA arrived quickly and made sure the site was safe and Kyabram CFA also responded to the call.
Ms Payne has since bought Mr Reid a new fire extinguisher and sent him a thank you card saying ‘‘Thanks, to the Guiney St firefighter’’.
This incident followed another recent fire at a home near Kyabram when Tongala police officer Frank Scopelliti was nearby and saw smoke.
‘‘There was a large amount of smoke and flames coming from the verandah so I grabbed the fire extinguisher from the car and fortunately was able to put the fire out as there were children at home there at the time,’’ he said.
‘‘There was a gas connection near the fire so I made sure that was safe.’’
Kyabram CFA captain Mick Crompton said these two incidents showed the benefit of having a fire extinguisher and other equipment such as a fire blanket at home and in the car.
With reference to the Kyabram incident, Mr Crompton said the children at the property were unaware of the fire and Mr Scopelliti’s prompt action saved what could have been a dangerous situation.
Shepparton police are seeking information about the disappearance of several items of World War II memorobilia, including medals, belonging to a Kialla woman.
The Australian Cricket Association has made the decision to postpone the Masters events scheduled for Yarrawonga this weekend in light of the serious injury to Australian cricketer Phillip Hughes.
Last week Victorian Collections passed a major milestone, with the 50000th historical object record from the state’s heritage collections uploaded to the site.
Cobb Haven residents are being swallowed up by tumbleweeds, which are taking over the facility.
Rochester Secondary College students have finished their final exams, taking the time to relax.
Candidate for Northern Victoria Robert Danielli lays out the issues facing the region
The porblems of recent years hopefully a thing of the past.
No luck for Finley in Murray Valley cricket.
Heathcote and District Community Bank Scholarship recipient Tarlyn Grant is encouraging others to apply
A soaring new sculpture is on track to bring pride, visitors and environmental awareness to Katamatite.
SunRice chair Gerry Lawson announced his pending retirement from the board overnight.
A spring Future Orchards walks will be held at Coomboona on Friday November 28 from 9.30am.
The surpsingly vindictive but highly satisfying sport of croquet is being enjoyed by more residents of Benalla the the Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club.
Discover unbelievable local deals from local businesses every week in the Goulburn and Murray Valley area with Leapon.com.au!
Search properties for sale or rent across North Central Victoria and Southern NSW. Visit your local website for local homes....
Search for published and unpublished photos from McPherson Media Group newspapers and magazines. All our photos are available to purchase.
Place an advertisement in any one of McPherson Media Group's local newspapers.