A Tocumwal family says they have been 'touched' by the community's support after their home was destroyed by fire Friday, last week.SOPHIE BURGE June 20, 2014 11:20am
Local couple Kevin and Jan McCumstie have been left devastated after fire destroyed their Tocumwal home on Friday about 12.30pm.
Mr McCumstie was at home when the fire started. He could smell smoke coming from the ceiling and went outside to investigate.
‘‘There were flames 20 feet high coming from the roof. I called Triple zero and then started to try and put the fire out myself.
‘‘I grabbed the hose but it’s bore water, so once the electricity went out so did the water supply,’’ Mr McCumstie said.
Unfortunately the fire had quickly spread through the airconditioning ducts in the roof and there was little firefighters could do to save the brick veneer home.
The outer walls of the home are still intact, but the damage inside the roof and home is extensive and most of the family’s possessions were destroyed or severely damaged by the smoke.
At this stage the family is not sure whether the five-bedroom home will be repaired, or demolished and re-built. That will be up to our insurance company, Mr McCumstie said.
‘‘Our insurance company, Youi, has been amazing and have us staying in a motel,’’ he said.
‘‘We’re now looking to rent a furnished house in the area for at least six to eight months.’’
The fire reportedly started in an airconditioning unit even though it had not been used for four years, according to the family.
It is believed some water found its way into the unit, shorted out the wiring and sparked the fire.
Mr McCumstie said because the fire was inside the roof it did not set off the fire alarms attached to the ceiling.
Mr McCumstie’s daughter, Sueanne McCumstie, said the ordeal had been a huge shock but could have been much worse.
‘‘We’re incredibly thankful to the firefighters for their prompt attendance and the care they took when entering the roof to put the fire out. Also to the other emergency services — police and paramedics — who were on the scene.
‘‘Yes, the fire has been devastating but as is often the case with these incidents, it brings out the community spirit.
‘‘Our whole family is touched by the outpouring of support we’ve received from neighbours and friends, and even further down the line to friends of friends. It really has been amazing.’’
Neighbourhood Watch Week will start with a sizzle — a sausage sizzle to be precise — at Sevens Creek Dve in Kialla.
Victoria State Emergency Service (SES) and other emergency services are preparing for the next round of wild weather in the north-east.
It was clear blue skies last Tuesday for the official launch of the Gargarro (pronounced Ga-gar-ro) Botanic Gardens in Girgarre.
SNAKES will be coming out of hiding as the weather warms up.
KATH Bubb has been recognised for 50 years of service with the Ballendella Red Cross.
IT EXPERTISE in Kyabram has received recognition after Advance Computing won a Microsoft Australia Partner Award in the excellence in regional area customer category.
Seymour A and B-grade in season decider
Extensive rainfall in the Southern Riverina is having a negative impact on farming.
When Pyalong Primary School does something, it does it well. Here are the students all dressed up for the school's recent Roald Dahl day to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the author’s birth on September 13, 1916.
Yarroweyah's Katie Anderson will be heading to Wisconsin in the United States after winning the Dairy Youth Travel Scholarship.
After a 30-year career as an accountant in Deniliquin, Peter Skipworth officially retires today.
Tuesday, August 16
The News magazines are online - read high quality magazines in your time. Check in regularly for the latest editions.
Riverine Herald's well regarded locally produced magazines. They're now online, so you can read them whenever and wherever you like.
Search for published and unpublished photos from McPherson Media Group newspapers and magazines. All our photos are available to purchase.
Place an advertisement in any one of McPherson Media Group's local newspapers.