A Tocumwal family says they have been 'touched' by the community's support after their home was destroyed by fire Friday, last week.SOPHIE BURGE June 20, 2014 11:20am
Local couple Kevin and Jan McCumstie have been left devastated after fire destroyed their Tocumwal home on Friday about 12.30pm.
Mr McCumstie was at home when the fire started. He could smell smoke coming from the ceiling and went outside to investigate.
‘‘There were flames 20 feet high coming from the roof. I called Triple zero and then started to try and put the fire out myself.
‘‘I grabbed the hose but it’s bore water, so once the electricity went out so did the water supply,’’ Mr McCumstie said.
Unfortunately the fire had quickly spread through the airconditioning ducts in the roof and there was little firefighters could do to save the brick veneer home.
The outer walls of the home are still intact, but the damage inside the roof and home is extensive and most of the family’s possessions were destroyed or severely damaged by the smoke.
At this stage the family is not sure whether the five-bedroom home will be repaired, or demolished and re-built. That will be up to our insurance company, Mr McCumstie said.
‘‘Our insurance company, Youi, has been amazing and have us staying in a motel,’’ he said.
‘‘We’re now looking to rent a furnished house in the area for at least six to eight months.’’
The fire reportedly started in an airconditioning unit even though it had not been used for four years, according to the family.
It is believed some water found its way into the unit, shorted out the wiring and sparked the fire.
Mr McCumstie said because the fire was inside the roof it did not set off the fire alarms attached to the ceiling.
Mr McCumstie’s daughter, Sueanne McCumstie, said the ordeal had been a huge shock but could have been much worse.
‘‘We’re incredibly thankful to the firefighters for their prompt attendance and the care they took when entering the roof to put the fire out. Also to the other emergency services — police and paramedics — who were on the scene.
‘‘Yes, the fire has been devastating but as is often the case with these incidents, it brings out the community spirit.
‘‘Our whole family is touched by the outpouring of support we’ve received from neighbours and friends, and even further down the line to friends of friends. It really has been amazing.’’
Dookie artist Andrew Sands gets attention with red dirt-covered ute.
The talent was truly amazing at this year’s Mulwala Water Ski Club’s Got Talent competition.
Malcolm Campbell is the new president of the Lions Club of Tatura after he was inducted by Global Leadership 201V5 chair Pat Mills at the club’s changeover dinner at the Top Pub on Saturday, July 12.
Richard McLean notched up his first win when he took part in Echuca-Moama Cycling Club's fourth and final round of the Ivan and Lorraine Collings Memorial Trophy at Lockington.
Our Lady of Sacred Heart Primary School in Elmore has received a grant which will be used to buy musical equipment for the school.
If you thought it was cold yesterday morning, you weren’t wrong!
Brigade transforms station for Christmas in July.
Despite being scheduled to play at home this Saturday, Finley footballers and netballers will instead make the trip to Blighty.
Axedale student Zara Smith has created history, raising the single largest amount raised by a primary school student in the Jump Rope for Heart event’s 31-year history.
Cobram Barooga Cycling Club president takes his talents on teh world stage for masters competition.
Despite being two wins from top spot, the Rams are now in a fight to make finals.
Innovative irrigators are being encouraged to apply for a 2014 Rural Water Award and the chance to win a $2000 cash prize.
The Melbourne Scottish fiddlers return to Swanpool to raise money for local CFA brigades. Group officer Jim Ranken and fiddle player Kristin Marriott
Discover unbelievable local deals from local businesses every week in the Goulburn and Murray Valley area with Leapon.com.au!
Search properties for sale or rent across North Central Victoria and Southern NSW. Visit your local website for local homes....
Search for published and unpublished photos from McPherson Media Group newspapers and magazines. All our photos are available to purchase.
Place an advertisement in any one of McPherson Media Group's local newspapers.