The slashing of grass along the railway line near Anderson Rd has not gone ahead in time for fire season this year, despite it being a known fire hazard.KATHLEEN TONINI January 4, 2013 4:23am
Grass along the railway line near Anderson Rd, which a local firefighter says is longer than when a devastating grassfire broke out in February, has been dismissed by V/Line as a low priority.
The February 23 fire (inset) burnt about 130 hectares.
It threatened houses and drew on the services of close to 80 firefighters.
The fire was believed to be sparked by a freight train passing through the area.
Echuca Village firefighter Brian Quinn, who was Echuca Village fire brigade captain at the time of the fire, feared what would happen if the grass was to ignite again.
‘‘If a train came along there and threw a spark we’d be in a far worse situation,’’ he said.
Temperatures are set to be in the high 30s and low 40s until Wednesday, prompting state-wide CFA warnings.
Mr Quinn said if a fire did break out again in the area, it would be more likely to threaten residential areas because of the increased fuel load.
‘‘I think anything we would throw at it locally would be insignificant to what mother nature would throw at us.’’
Mr Quinn said there had been no fuel reduction burn prior to summer as there had been before last season.
‘‘If you were going to do something it should have been done about in October, it’s too dangerous to do it now.’’
A V/Line spokesperson yesterday said the area could not be sprayed and slashed as it was within a ‘‘sensitive environmental area’’ but could be burnt off at the right time of year.
‘‘Working with the CFA and DSE we may be able to conduct a fuel burn, however following the fire last year it has been assessed this area is not a high priority,’’ the V/Line spokesperson said.
Mr Quinn believed whoever maintained the land around railway lines and those who maintained the trains themselves were both responsible when it came to fire risk.
‘‘It should be a combined responsibility when it comes to fire hazards,’’ he said.
Campaspe CFA operations officer John Cutting said he was aware the grass had grown back, but was concerned about grassfire risk across the whole shire.
‘‘That is one part of the shire where there is grassfire risk but there are others,’’ he said.
He said fuel reduction and burning off had been planned for autumn but nothing had been done prior to this summer.
Mr Cutting echoed Mr Quinn by saying it was not as simple as long, dry grass presenting a fire hazard.
‘‘It’s not just eliminating the fuel, it’s eliminating the risk of it starting,’’ he said.
He believed some maintenance of trains had occurred since last year’s fire.
P&O TransAustralia, who had a train in the area at the time of last year’s fire, did not respond to the Riverine Herald’s request for information about its internal investigation.
McDonald's owners to pass on baton
The first preliminary final on Saturday saw the Tungamah seniors start their campaign against Waaia at the Rennie Recreation Reserve.
The Aboriginal and wider community is mourning the death of revered Bangerang Aboriginal elder, Uncle John ‘‘Sandy’’ Atkinson.
PEOPLE who attended Echuca-Moama’s drug forum this week will think twice before taking ice.
TRUCKS, cars and vintage machinery took over Rochester Recreation Reserve on Tuesday last week.
KYABRAM’S Margaret and Leonard Flint have come a long way since meeting in the early 1950s.
Avenel win over Nagambie to take top spot
Berrigan Shire councillor Daryll Morris says he has been sickened by some of the vitriol and personal attacks to surface since the council’s proposal to redevelop Finley’s Memorial Hall and School of Arts site was revealed in October last year.
YOU probably wouldn’t expect to find an intensive care nurse running an award winning hotel and brewery, but that’s exactly what you will find when you visit Tooborac.
The preparations for the 10th Cobram Swap Meet have been given a boost with a brand new line marker. The Rotary Club of Cobram, which organise the swap meet, applied for a volunteer grant from the Federal Government, from which it received $4600.
At 77 years of age, popular local golfer Paul ‘Tango’ has claimed his second hole-in-one.
Tuesday, August 16
The News magazines are online - read high quality magazines in your time. Check in regularly for the latest editions.
Riverine Herald's well regarded locally produced magazines. They're now online, so you can read them whenever and wherever you like.
Search for published and unpublished photos from McPherson Media Group newspapers and magazines. All our photos are available to purchase.
Place an advertisement in any one of McPherson Media Group's local newspapers.