A 21st birthday party turned dangerous after the birthday girl's hair caught alight on Saturday night.April 20, 2012 4:00am
Kate Barling (pictured) was lucky to escape serious injury after her hair caught fire during her 21st birthday celebrations on Saturday night.
Miss Barling was leaning over her birthday cake when a candle set her hair alight.
‘‘Mum put the candles on the cake and had spaced them out,’’ she said.
‘‘I was leaning over to blow out the candles at the back, not realising one at the front was still alight.
‘‘The whole left side of my hair went up in flames.
‘‘We think it was because of the hairspray in my hair.’’
Miss Barling said it took only ‘‘seconds’’ for her hair to burn, but said the flames were doused immediately.
A 21st tiara on the top of her hair is believed to have prevented the fire from doing more damage.
‘‘My hair is a bit singed, but I’m all right. It only burned up to where I had my hair tucked behind the tiara, so we think it may have stopped the fire.
‘‘I’m told the feathers on the tiara were also singed, but I didn’t get to see it myself.
‘‘Luckily my hair is layered so you can’t really tell what has happened, but I can’t straighten over that bit and I have to pin it back or it sticks out.’’
Miss Barling said the whole incident was caught on video and was over in a matter of seconds.
‘‘You can hear people screaming, but it was all very quick.’’
City of Greater Shepparton Mayor Jenny Houlihan urges people to continue supporting SPC Ardmona after yesterday’s funding announcement, but also warns it could mean less jobs in the future.
Mulwala Thirds full forward Gus McMillan kicked his 100th goal for the season on Saturday.
Murchison and Tatura SES units were two of 26 Victoria State Emergency Service volunteer units to receive an allocation of new equipment this week as part of the annual AAMI equipment handover program.
A number of health professionals and dignitaries gathered this morning to witness Health Minister Peter Dutton launch the $9 million Victorian Stroke Telemedicine Program.
Rochester resident Phyllis Thompson raised concerns about the pedestrian crossing outside the post office VicRoads recently.
Girgarre Primary School students relate what the best book is they have read and why.
The death of Arthur Cole is the passing of a true gentleman.
A commemorative plaque to mark 100 years of Berrigan Red Cross has been unveiled outside the Berrigan RSL Club.
Peter Maine has traken over the president's role for Heathcote Tourism and Development.
Cobram service sees crowd commemorate 48th anniversary of a key Vietnam battle.
The region is holding out for winter rain.
A $100 million investment program will recommence following parent company Coca-Cola Amatil's decision today to invest $78 million into SPC Ardmona.
Vale Pat Gardner, 1916 - 2014 whose last wish was for the Benalla ceramic mural to be listed by the National Trust.
- Benalla unveils its refurbished old shire offices which are now the Civic Centre
- Support Light the Night in Benalla next month
- Poppy Smith celebrates her second birthday, having survived a heart defect.
- Benalla Rural City Council announces intention to re-appoint CEO Tony McIlroy
- Benalla Art Gallery appoints new director
Discover unbelievable local deals from local businesses every week in the Goulburn and Murray Valley area with Leapon.com.au!
Search properties for sale or rent across North Central Victoria and Southern NSW. Visit your local website for local homes....
Search for published and unpublished photos from McPherson Media Group newspapers and magazines. All our photos are available to purchase.
Place an advertisement in any one of McPherson Media Group's local newspapers.