Amanda Wilson was bitten by a brown snake, but her jeans helped limit the venom injected.November 14, 2012 1:05pm
A regular evening stroll with her pet dogs turned into a medical emergency for Deniliquin’s Amanda Wilson last week.
Miss Wilson was on her property, 30km from Deniliquin, when she was bitten by a brown snake on Wednesday.
At first she didn’t realise she had been bitten. It was about 20 minutes later, when some of the symptoms took hold, when Miss Wilson eventually found the puncture wounds on her leg.
‘‘I was walking the dogs like I normally do, and I didn’t realise straight away.
‘‘I have been seeing snakes around and on this day I saw one go right and thought ‘that was close’.
‘‘Usually the dogs see them first and then we can avoid them.
‘‘I felt something on my leg, but I thought I had just scraped one of the bushes.’’
Miss Wilson said she went inside and about 15 minutes later started having trouble breathing which, at first, she thought was asthma.
‘‘But then I started to get a headache, so I took some Neurofen, and then I started getting really hot,’’ she said.
‘‘I was rolling up the legs of my jeans when I noticed the bite.
‘‘It was on the side of my calf. I bandaged it up using a ruler as a splint, and off I went.’’
Given the bite had occurred almost half an hour earlier, Miss Wilson drove herself to Echuca Hospital for treatment.
As her symptoms were ‘‘pretty mild’’ she did not require any anti-venom, but she was put on a drip and kept under observation for about five hours.
‘‘I’m exceptionally lucky,’’ she said.
‘‘If it had been a bigger snake, hit me a lot harder or if I hadn’t been wearing denim, things could have been much worse.’’
Deniliquin Ambulance paramedic and local first aid instructor Bob Crampton said contrary to popular belief, snake bites are quite uncommon in the local area.
‘‘We’d normally get less than one a year, but then not all people call the ambulance,’’ he said.
Mr Crampton said while brown snakes are potentially deadly, there is no reason for people to panic if they are bitten.
‘‘The way Australian snakes are, you usually have oodles of time to get to the hospital before anything turns too nasty.
‘‘And another good thing is the way their fangs form, so if you are wearing jeans much of the poison is absorbed by the material.
‘‘That’s why it’s always a good idea to wear long pants and socks if you plan on going for a walk.
‘‘If you do get bitten, if you have a bandage, you should start by wrapping directly over the bite, working your way down the limb and then back up as far as you can go (to stop the movement of venom through the body).
‘‘And you should call the ambulance of course.’’
Mr Crampton said hospitals are able to test the venom on your skin to determine the appropriate anti-venom, so said it is best not to wash the area around the bite before seeking treatment.
Symptoms of a brown snake bite are most commonly nausea and vomiting.
Mr Crampton said bite victims may also become progressively sweaty and experience a rapid but weak pulse.
Other symptoms are breathing difficulties, blurred vision, drooping eyelids, difficulty swallowing and speaking, abdominal pain, headaches and, in extreme cases, the victim may collapse and go into a coma.
If you need urgent medical attention, please phone Triple Zero (000).
Plenty of discontent expressed at packed meeting of Rumbalara Aboriginal Co-operative
The Tungamah Football Netball Club has completed a fairytale season to clinch the Picola and District Football Netball League South East Premiership with an emphatic 106 point win over the Katamatite Tigers at Tungamah.
Transition Tatura held a successful film festival, Communities Shaping the Future: a Day of Conversations and Films on Saturday, August 30.
The cost to Murray Shire ratepayers to keep this year’s Picola and District Football Netball League grand final in Mathoura was more than $18,000.
Rochester Secondary College student Annette Water has been selected to travel to Gallipoli, as part of the centenary of Anzac Day.
Don’t write Ky off yet, says coach ahead of preliminary final
Innovative Mitchell Shire Council-developed program is a finalist in a national award.
Finley coach Damian Sexton is quietly confident ahead of the Cats' Murray Football League grand final against Rumbalara
The wine was flowing freely at Meehan Vineyard on Friday.
Club's wins its last ever games, taking out the womens and under 14 grand finals.
Star Redeyes shooter Tess Plattfuss took home a swag of trophies on Friday night.
Now the Murray-Darling Basin Plan is enshrined in law, many opponents of the controversial plan to return irrigation water to the environment appear to have lost interest.
The Council rescinded a motion be the previously elected councillors that the CEO job be re-advertised. Current councillors accused dissenting Cr Peter Davis of 'whipping up a media frenzy' of opposition to the re-appointment of Tony McIlroy.
- 550 jobs saved at Thales munitions factories, but losses still likely
- Benalla quinella caps off superb night at GVFL best and fairest
- Benalla's Bill Cleeland inducted into truckie hall of fame
- Number plate recognition technology nabs four driving infringements
- Former Benalla resident in running for top winemaker award
Discover unbelievable local deals from local businesses every week in the Goulburn and Murray Valley area with Leapon.com.au!
Search properties for sale or rent across North Central Victoria and Southern NSW. Visit your local website for local homes....
Search for published and unpublished photos from McPherson Media Group newspapers and magazines. All our photos are available to purchase.
Place an advertisement in any one of McPherson Media Group's local newspapers.