Fire trucks rushed to Deniliquin High School on Monday morning.November 20, 2012 4:34am
An electrical fire broke out in Deniliquin High School’s multi purpose centre (MPC) about 9.15am Monday.
No students were in the hall at the time, and staff used fire extinguishers to control the blaze until firefighters arrived.
Two fire trucks with 13 crew rushed to the school and quickly put the fire out.
Firefighters also ventilated the hall of the toxic smoke and used a thermal imaging camera to confirm there was no heat left in the ceiling.
No one was injured in the incident.
Deniliquin Fire and Rescue NSW station commander Captain Bill Muirhead said the blaze started in a fluorescent light and spread about 1m through adjoining lights, and also dropped to the floor below.
Capt Muirhead said the fire was confined to the lights and the floor, as the ceiling was metal.
However, he believes the blaze would have caused wiring damage.
Capt Muirhead said the damage could have been significant had the blaze started on a weekend.
He plans to ventilate the hall again today.
Deniliquin High School deputy principal Peter Astill was one of the staff members initially fighting the fire. He hopes the hall will be back in use by later this week.
‘‘The MPC will be out of action for a little while,’’ he said.
‘‘[There’s] a bit of damage to the lights at the top of the hall.’’
Mr Astill also said the ceiling blaze caused melted plastic to drop to the floor in a patch several metres square.
He hopes a polish and some maintenance will return the floor to normal.
He praised both the firefighters and school staff, saying the incident went ‘‘as smoothly as could be expected’’.
‘‘We are very appreciative,’’ he said.
‘‘The staff that were supporting me were excellent.’’
~ Jess Everingham
The sky is the limit for Wanganui Year 12 VCAL student Leigh Polan, 18, who decided to create two posters examining birdlife around the school.
The under 16 Pigeons kick started the YFNC's finals campaign with a resounding victory over the Paul Spargo led Scots College in the Grand Final of the AWJFL Elwyn Langford Shield at the Albury Sports Ground on Sunday.
Greater Shepparton City Council was successful in securing the National Cutting Horse Association Victorian Futurity Cutting Horse Championships for 2014 and 2015, with this year’s event scheduled from September 10-14 at Tatura Park.
An ad for the Healthy Ageing Project will be filmed in Echuca, Rushworth and Rochester today.
More than $15,000 was raised at a family day on Sunday. The event was to raise money for the families of Barry Purtell and Dave Lobb.
Book Week gets colourful turnout.
Deaprtment of Environment and Primary Industries unhappy about Mt Disappointment vandals.
Jerilderie Shire deputy mayor Ruth McRae handed the key over for the new Rural Fire Service station last Friday.
Farmers have a new weapon in the fight against mice.
Cobram kids learn about health with hospital as state-wide obesity campaign is launched.
History is recorded to inspire the next generation, author John Northage said at the launch of, Mending the Goulburn Broken, in Shepparton last week.
A few anxious customers were outside the closed gates of the failed Bee-Jay Machinery business on Goulburn Valley Hwy in Shepparton on Tuesday morning, wondering what would become of deposits they had paid for tractors and other machinery.
The Benalla Indian Myna Action Group will pay a $1 per bird bounty on live birds delivered to CAL farm. National Party MP Bill Sykes donated $100 to fund the bounty.
Discover unbelievable local deals from local businesses every week in the Goulburn and Murray Valley area with Leapon.com.au!
Search properties for sale or rent across North Central Victoria and Southern NSW. Visit your local website for local homes....
Search for published and unpublished photos from McPherson Media Group newspapers and magazines. All our photos are available to purchase.
Place an advertisement in any one of McPherson Media Group's local newspapers.